Short term, assuming there wouldn't be an objection from the libvirt community,
I think spawning a thread pool and concurrently executing several rbd_stat
calls concurrently would be the easiest and cleanest solution.  I wouldn't
suggest trying to roll your own solution for retrieving image sizes for format
1 and 2 RBD images directly within libvirt.

Longer term, given this use case, perhaps it would make sense to add an async
version of rbd_open.  The rbd_stat call itself just reads the data from memory
initialized by rbd_open.  On the Jewel branch, librbd has had some major rework
and image loading is asynchronous under the hood already.

--

Jason Dillaman