Hi Bryan,

Luminous docs about pool placement and compression can be found at https://docs.ceph.com/docs/luminous/radosgw/placement/. You're correct that a bucket's placement target is set on creation and can't be changed. But the placement target itself can be modified to enable compression after the fact, and (once the gateways restart) the compression would take effect on new objects uploaded to buckets with that placement rule.

In Nautilus, the compression setting is per storage class. See the updated docs at https://docs.ceph.com/docs/nautilus/radosgw/placement/ for details. So you could either add a new storage class to your existing placement target that enables compression, and use the S3 apis like COPY Object or lifecycle transitions to compress existing object data. Or you could modify the default STANDARD storage class to enable compression, which would again apply only to new object uploads.

For per-user compression, you can specify a default placement target that applies when the user creates new buckets. And as of Nautilus you can specify a default storage class to be used for new object uploads - just note that some 'helpful' s3 clients will insert a 'x-amz-storage-class: STANDARD' header to requests that don't specify one, and the presence of this header will override the user's default storage class.