> On 6 Feb 2020, at 11:23, Stefan Kooman <ste...@bit.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I've confirmed that the write IO to the metadata pool is coming form active
>> MDSes.
>>
>> I'm experiencing very poor write performance on clients and I would like to
>> see if there's anything I can do to optimise the performance.
>>
>> Right now, I'm specifically focussing on speeding up this use case:
>>
>> In CephFS mounted dir:
>>
>> $ time unzip -q wordpress-seo.12.9.1.zip
>>
>> real 0m47.596s
>> user 0m0.218s
>> sys  0m0.157s
>>
>> On RBD mount:
>>
>> $ time unzip -q wordpress-seo.12.9.1.zip
>>
>> real 0m0.176s
>> user 0m0.131s
>> sys  0m0.045s
>>
>> The difference is just too big. I'm having real trouble finding a good
>> reference to check my setup for bad configuration etc.
>>
>> I have network bandwidth, RAM and CPU to spare, but I'm unsure on how to put
>> it to work to help my case.
>
> Are there a lot of directories to be created from that zip file? I think
> it boils down to the directory operations that need to be performed
> synchrously. See
> https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/sds_ceph_async_directory_ops/
> https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/sds_ceph_async_directory_ops/attachments/slides/3962/export/events/attachments/sds_ceph_async_directory_ops/slides/3962/async_dirops_cephfs.pdf
> https://video.fosdem.org/2020/H.1308/sds_ceph_async_directory_ops.webm

Hi!

Last Friday, I did a round of updates that were pending and planned for
installation.

After the updates, all server and client components were running their latest
version and systems were rebooted to latest kernel versions.

Ceph: Mimic
Kernel: 5.3 (Ubuntu HWE)

The write IO to the metadata pool is down by a factor of 10 and performance
seems much improved.

Though this does not give me a lot of intel on what the problem was, I'm glad
that it is now pretty much resolved ;)

Before the updates, I was running different (minor) versions of Ceph and kernel
clients. This may have not been ideal, but I'm not sure on details of possible
issues with that.

Rebooting everything may have also eliminated some issues. I did not have the
opportunity to do much analysis on that, since I was working in a production
environment.

Well, maybe some of you have extra insights. I'm happy to close this issue and
will be monitoring and recording related info in case this happens again.

Thanks much for your inputs, and have a good week,

Samy