Hi Thomas

To get the usage:
    ceph osd df | sort -nk8
    #VAR is the ratio to avg util
    #WEIGHT is CRUSHMAP weight; typically the Disk capacity in TiB
    #REWEIGHT is temporary (until osd restart or ceph osd set noout) WEIGHT
correction for manual rebalance

You can use for temporary reweight:
    ceph osd reweight osd.<ID> <REWEIGHT>
or :
    ceph osd test-reweight-by-utilization <VAR>
    ceph osd reweight-by-utilization <VAR>

You can use for permanent reweight:
    ceph osd crush reweight osd.<ID> <WEIGHT>

To speed up the backfill I use this (warning it decreases client performance):
    ceph tell 'osd.*' injectargs '--osd_max_backfills 30
--osd_recovery_max_active 45 --osd_recovery_op_priority 10'
Then to set to back to default:
    ceph tell 'osd.*' injectargs '--osd_max_backfills 1
--osd_recovery_max_active 3 --osd_recovery_op_priority 3'

Cheers
Francois Scheurer