Hi,

The cluster is all-flash (NVMe), so the removal is fast and it's in fact pretty noticeable, even on Prometheus graphs.

Also I've logged raw space usage from `ceph -f json df`:

1) before pg rebalance started the space usage was 32724002664448 bytes
2) just before the rebalance finished it was 32883513622528 bytes (1920 of ~120k objects misplaced) = +100 GB 3) then it started to drop. not instantly, but fast, and stopped at 32785906380800 = +58 GB to the original

I've repeated it several times. The behaviour is always the same. First it copies the PG, then removes the old copy, but space usage doesn't drop to the original point. It's obviously not client IO too, it always happens exactly during the rebalance.

Hi Vitaliy,

just as a guess to verify:

a while ago I've been observed very long pool (pretty large) removal.
It took several days to complete. DB was at spinner which was one of
driver of this slow behavior.

Another one - PG removal design which enumerates up to 30 entries max
to fill single removal batch. Then execute it. Everything in a single
"thread". So the process is pretty slow for millions of objects...

During removal pool (read PGs) space was in use ad decreased slowly.
Pretty high DB volume utilization was observed.

 I assume rebalance performs PG removal as well - may be that's the
case?

Thanks,

Igor