Hi all,
Ok, so I have some updates on this.

We noticed that we had a bucket with tons of RGW garbage collection pending. It
was growing faster than we could clean it up.

We suspect this was because users tried to do "s3cmd sync" operations on SWIFT
uploaded large files. This could logically cause issues as s3 and SWIFT
calculate md5sums differently on large objects.

The following command showed the pending gc, and also shows which buckets are
affected.

radosgw-admin gc list |grep oid >garbagecollectionlist.txt

Our total RGW GC backlog was up to ~40 M.

We stopped the main s3sync workflow which was affecting the GC growth. Then we
started running more aggressive radosgw garbage collection.

This really helped with the memory use. It dropped a lot, and for now *knock on
wood* when the GC has been cleaned up, the memory has stayed at a more stable
lower level.

So we hope we found the (or a) trigger for the problem.

Hopefully reveals another thread to pull for others debugging the same issue
(and for us when we hit it again).

Cheers,
Kalle