Hello fellow CEPH-users,
currently we are updating our CEPH(14.2.16) and making changes to some config settings.

TLDR: is there a way to make a graceful MDS active node shutdown without loosing the caps, open files and client connections? Something like handover active state, promote standby to active, ...?

Sadly we run into some difficulties when restarting MDS Nodes. While we had two active nodes and one standby we initially though that this would have a nice handover when restarting the active rank ... sadly we saw how the node was going through the states: replay-reconnect-rejoin-active as nicely visualized here https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephfs/mds-states/

This left some nodes going into timeouts until the standby node has gone into the active state again, most probably since the cephfs hast already some 600k folders and 3M files and from the client side it took more than 30s.

So before the next MDS the FS config where changed to one active and one standby-replay node, the idea was that since the MDS replay nodes follows the active one the handover would be smoother. The active state was reached faster, but we still noticed some hiccups on the clients while the new active MDS was waiting for clients to reconnect(state up:reconnect) after the failover.

The next idea was to do a manual node promotion, graceful shutdown or something similar - where the open caps and sessions would be handed over ... but I did not find any hint in the docs regarding this functionality. But, this should somehow be possible (imho), since when adding a second active mds node (max_mds 2) and then removing it again (max_mds 1) the rank 1 node goes to stopping-state and hands over all clients/caps to rank 0 without interruptions for the clients.

Therefore my question: how can one gracefully shutdown an active rank 0 mds node or promote an standby node to the active state without loosing open files/caps or client sessions?

Thanks in advance,