Burkhard,

I woke up with the same conclusion - LACP load balancing can break down
when the traffic traverses a router since the IP headers have the router as
the destination address and thus the Ethernet header has the same to MAC
addresses.

(I think that in a pure layer 2 fabric the MAC addresses vary enough to
produce reasonable - not perfect - LACP load balancing.)

Then add VXLAN, SDN, and other newer networking technologies and it all
gets even more confusing.

But I always come back to the starter cluster, likely a proof of concept
demonstration, that might be built with left-over parts.  Networking is
frequently an afterthought.  In this case node-level traffic management -
weighted fair queueing - could make all the difference.

-Dave

--
Dave Hall
Binghamton University