On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 8:29 AM Chris Palmer <chris.pal...@idnet.com> wrote:

> The Quincy release notes state that "MDS upgrades no longer require all
> standby MDS daemons to be stoped before upgrading a file systems's sole
> active MDS." but the "Upgrading non-cephadm clusters" instructions still
> include reducing ranks to 1, upgrading, then raising it again.

The instructions are correct? For both cephadm and non-cephadm
clusters, it is necessary to reduce max_mds to 1 (ranks to 1) before
doing an upgrade. The change noted in the release is that standby MDS
(MDS not holding a rank) no longer need to be stopped / shutdown.

> Does the new feature only apply once you have upgraded to Quincy, or do
> the MDS upgrade notes need adjusting now? (We're upgrading from Pacific).

It's only necessary to upgrade the monitors for the feature to be
available (which is already the first thing you do when upgrading a
cluster).

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His