Hi everybody,

are there other ways for rados objects to get removed, other than "rados -p
POOL rm OBJECT"?
We have a customer who got objects in the bucket index, but can't download
it. After checking it seems like the rados object is gone.

Ceph cluster is running ceph octopus 15.2.16

"radosgw-admin bi list --bucket BUCKET" shows the object available.
"radosgw-admin bucket radoslist --bucket BUCKET" shows the object and a
corresponding multipart file.
"rados -p POOL ls" only shows the object, but not the multipart file.

Exporting the rados object hands me an empty file.

I find it very strange that a 250KB file get a multipart object, but what
do I know how the customer uploaded the file and how they work with the RGW
api.

What grinds my gears is that we lost customer data, and I need to know what
ways are there that leads to said problem.

I know there is no recovery, but I am not satisfied with "well, it just
happened. No idea why".
As I am the only one who is working on the the ceph cluster I would remove
"removed via rados command" from the list of possibilities, as the last
orphan objects cleanup was performed a month before the files last MTIME.

Is there ANY way this could happen in some correlation with the GC,
restarting/adding/removing OSDs, sharding bucket indexes, OSD crashes and
other? Anything that isn't "rados -p POOL rm OBJECT"?

Cheers
 Boris