Thank Jake

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:47 AM Jake Grimmett <j...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi Stefan
>
> We use cephfs for our 7200CPU/224GPU HPC cluster, for our use-case
> (large-ish image files) it works well.
>
> We have 36 ceph nodes, each with 12 x 12TB HDD, 2 x 1.92TB NVMe, plus a
> 240GB System disk. Four dedicated nodes have NVMe for metadata pool, and
> provide mon,mgr and MDS service.

This is great info, Assuming we don't need redundancy for NvMe because if
it fails then it will impact only on 6 OSDs and that is acceptable. At
present, because of limited HW supply i am planning to host MDS on the same
OSDs nodes (not dedicated HW for MDS) agreed that not a best practice but
again currently i am dealing with all unknown and i don't want to throw
money on something which we don't know. I may have more data as we start
using and then I can adjust requirements accordingly.

> I'm not sure you need 4% of OSD for wal/db, search this mailing list
> archive for a definitive answer, but my personal notes are as follows:
>
> "If you expect lots of small files: go for a DB that's > ~300 GB
> For mostly large files you are probably fine with a 60 GB DB.
> 266 GB is the same as 60 GB, due to the way the cache multiplies at each
> level, spills over during compaction."

We don't know what kind of workload we are going to run because currently
all they ask for is large storage with many many drives. In future if they
ask for more IOPs then we may replace some box with NvME or SSD and adjust
requirements.

> We use a single enterprise quality 1.9TB NVMe for each 6 OSDs to good
> effect, you probably need 1DWPD to be safe. I suspect you might be able
> to increase the ratio of HDD per NVMe with PCIe gen4 NVMe drives.

Can you share what company NvME drives are you using?