You should be able to `do-release-upgrade` from bionic/18 to focal/20.

Octopus/15 is shipped for both dists from ceph.
Its been a while since I did this, the release upgrader might disable the ceph
repo, and uninstall the ceph* packages.
However, the OSDs should still be there, re-enable the ceph repo, install
ceph-osd, and then `ceph-volume lvm activate —all` should find and start all of
the OSDs.

Caveat, if you’re using cephadm, I’m sure the process is different.
And also, if you’re trying to go to jammy/22, thats a different story, because
ceph isn’t shipping packages for jammy yet for any version of ceph.
I assume that they are going to ship quincy for jammy at some point, which will
give a stepping stone from focal to jammy with the quincy release, because I
don’t imagine that there will be a reef release for focal.

Reed