Hey ceph-users,

loosely related to my question about client-side encryption in the Cloud Sync module (https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@ceph.io/thread/I366AIAGWGXG3YQZXP6GDQT4ZX2Y6BXM/)

I am wondering if there are other options to ensure data is encrypted at rest and also only replicated as encrypted data ...

My thoughts / findings so far:

AWS S3 supports setting a bucket encryption policy (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/userguide/default-bucket-encryption.html) to "ApplyServerSideEncryptionByDefault" - so automatically apply SSE to all objects without the clients to explicitly request this per object.

Ceph RGW has received support for such policy via the bucket encryption API with https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/95acefb2f5e5b1a930b263bbc7d18857d476653c.

I am now just wondering if there is any way to not only allow bucket creators to apply such a policy themselves, but to apply this as a global default in RGW, forcing all buckets to have SSE enabled - transparently.

If there is no way to achieve this just yet, what are your thoughts about adding such an option to RGW?

Regards

Christian