Hi Ilya,

yes, it has race conditions. However, it seems to address the specific case
that is causing us headaches.

About possible improvements. I tried to understand the documentation about rbd
image locks, but probably failed. I don't understand what the difference
between an exclusive lock and a shared lock is. As far as I understood, neither
of these locks have any influence on client IO, nor do they affect the
exclusive write-lock transition.

Does omitting --shared make the rbd lock command an atomic operation, meaning
that lock operations become serialised and two clients cannot add the same lock
in a race (only one client will succeed in a race)? Or does it mean that only
one client gets write access? If it does have influence on client IO, how would
the hand-over during live migration have to happen?

Thanks for adding a note to the documentation and any further help!

Best regards,