On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 11:47 PM Richard Bade <hitr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I've been having trouble finding an answer to this question. Basically
> I'm wanting to know if stuff in the .log pool is actively used for
> anything or if it's just logs that can be deleted.
> In particular I was wondering about sync logs.
> In my particular situation I have had some tests of zone sync setup,
> but now I've removed the secondary zone and pools. My primary zone is
> filled with thousands of logs like this:
> data_log.71
> data.full-sync.index.e2cf2c3e-7870-4fc4-8ab9-d78a17263b4f.47
> meta.full-sync.index.7
> datalog.sync-status.shard.e2cf2c3e-7870-4fc4-8ab9-d78a17263b4f.13
> bucket.sync-status.f3113d30-ecd3-4873-8537-aa006e54b884:{bucketname}:default.623958784.455
>
> I assume that because I'm not doing any sync anymore I can delete all
> the sync related logs? Is anyone able to confirm this?

yes

> What about if the sync is running? Are these being written and read
> from and therefore must be left alone?

right. while a multisite configuration is operating, the replication
logs will be trimmed in the background. in addition to the replication
logs, the log pool also contains sync status objects. these track the
progress of replication, and removing those objects would generally
cause sync to start over from the beginning

> It seems like these are more of a status than just a log and that
> deleting them might confuse the sync process. If so, does that mean
> that the log pool is not just output that can be removed as needed?
> Are there perhaps other things in there that need to stay?

the log pool is used by several subsystems like multisite sync,
garbage collection, bucket notifications, and lifecycle. those
features won't work reliably if you delete their rados objects