> so that an average number of compactions per hour can be calculated

For this you need the time window length for the counts. That's not automatic
with the command you sent. For example, my MON log file started at 4am in the
morning, there was a logrotate. So the assumption that the current time and
count will give a correct average for the day starting at 00:00 failed in my
situation. To get a correct count for today I would have had to combine 2 log
files and send you the current time and count:

# grep -i "manual compaction from" /var/log/ceph/ceph-mon.ceph-01.log-20231013
/var/log/ceph/ceph-mon.ceph-01.log | grep "2023-10-13" | wc -l
1226
# grep -i "manual compaction from" /var/log/ceph/ceph-mon.ceph-01.log | grep
"2023-10-13" | wc -l
912
# date
Fri Oct 13 16:07:57 CEST 2023

Apart from that, I agree that a shorter time window will do. Its the start time
of the log that's missing.

Best regards,