Le 23/11/2023 à 09:32:49-0500, Anthony D'Atri a écrit

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

> > to change something in the /etc/ceph/ceph.conf.
>
> Central config was introduced with Mimic.  Since both central config and
> ceph.conf work and are supported, explicitly mentioning both in the docs
> every time is a lot of work (and awkward).  One day we’ll sort out an
> effective means to generalize throughout the docs.

Ok. I perfectly understand the «nightmare» to maintained a up2date
documentation.

> > How that is taking account by cephadm ? I see in the docker container they
> > have a overlay for /etc/ceph/ceph.conf.
> >
> > Should I modify the ceph.conf (vi/emacs) directly ?
>
> vi is never the answer.

WTF ? You break my dream ;-) ;-)

Ok.

> > Should I modify the ceph.conf (vi/emacs) directly and restart something ?
> > Should I use some cephadm shell and don't manually touche ceph.conf ?
>
> Depending on the option in question, you may be able to just use “ceph
> config” to set it centrally.  When asking questions here, it helps a LOT if
> you share the Ceph release you’re running and more context.

You're right.

Currently I'm testing

  17.2.7 quincy.

So in my daily life how I would know if I should use ceph config or
modify with vi/emacs/whatever /etc/ceph/ceph.conf ?

> > And what about the future ?
>
> We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to
> spend the rest of our lives.

Correct ;-)

Sorry my question was not very clear. My question was in fact in which
way we headed. But I'm guessing the answer is “ceph config” or something
like that.

Thanks.

Regards

--