You've learned on of the three computer science facts you need to know about
distributed systems, and I'm glad I could pass something on:

1. Consistent, Available, Distributed - pick any two
2. To completely guard against k failures where you don't know which one failed
just by looking you need 2k+1 redundant copies
3. Fault tolerant systems must all agree on what time it is