> [ Please stay on the list. :) ]

Doh.  Was trying to get Outlook to quote properly, and forgot to hit Reply-all.
 :)

> >> The specifics of what data will migrate where will depend on how
> >> you've set up your CRUSH map, when you're updating the CRUSH
> >> locations, etc, but if you move an OSD then it will fully participate
> >> in recovery and can be used as the authoritative source for data.
> >
> > Ok, so if data chunk "bar" lives only on OSDs 3, 4, and 5, and OSDs 3,
> > 4, and 5 suddenly vanish for some reason but then come back later
> > (with their data intact), the cluster will recover more-or-less
> > gracefully?  That is, it *won't* go "sorry, your RBD 'foobarbaz' lost
> > 'bar' for a while, all that data is gone"?  I would *assume* it has a
> > way to recover more-or-less gracefully, but it's also not something I
> > want to discover the answer to later.  :)
>
> Well, if the data goes away and you try and read it, the request is just going
> to hang, and presumably eventually the kernel/hypervisor/block device
> whatever will time out and throw an error. At that point you have a choice
> between marking it lost (at which point it will say ENOENT to requests to
> access it, and RBD will turn that into zero blocks) or getting the data back
> online. When you do bring it back online, it will peer and then be accessible
> again without much fuss (if you only bring back one copy it might kick off a
> bunch of network and disk traffic re-replicating).

Awesome, that's exactly how I would want it to work.  If the drives themselves
somehow manage to all catch on fire at the same time, I can still recover some
of the data on the RBD, but as long as the drives are ok I should be able to
bring the data back.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!  Now to do some testing and
fiddling.  :)