On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Mikaël Cluseau <mclus...@isi.nc> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> pleased to see another gentoo user :)

Another Gentoo user here! :)

> On 11/10/2013 07:02 PM, Philipp Strobl wrote:
>
>> As i read at ceph-mailinglist you are trying to get ceph-deploy to work
>> on gentoo ?
>>

> I've been but since I'm used to work "by hand" (I'm from the
> pre-ceph-ceploy era), I didn't put much effort in this for now. I think the
> recent changes on the original ceph-deploy will help with some issues
> regarding remote execution.

I've also built out my cluster by hand, primarily because I wanted to be
very familiar with the internals in case of any problems later, but also
because ceph-deploy would quit immediately upon detecting a Gentoo target :)

 We also Start with this, but we all dont Need to re-invent the Wheel. So
>> perhaps we can help each other.
>>

> Sure.
>

>  How far did you come in hacking the ceph-deploy for gentoo ?
>>

> As you can see here https://git.isi.nc/cloud/ceph-deploy, only the basics
> to have the commands running. I did this https://git.isi.nc/cloud/ceph-
> deploy/commit/cafbdaa2aed1467f091ef4e8118db4342c830d93 but remote
> execution issues didn't let me go much further without investing more time
> than I had :-(
>
> But I'm interested in working on general support for Ceph on Gentoo, so
> yes we could join effort maybe on github for instance. I think the goal
> could be to maintain at least an overlay following inktank's advices in
> terms of stability, and the Gentoo part of ceph-deploy.
>
> Thanks for your interest :)

I'm interested in helping as well. I currently maintain ebuilds for the
latest Ceph versions at an overlay called Nextoo, if anyone is interested:

https://github.com/nextoo/portage-overlay/tree/master/sys-cluster/ceph

I'm happy to help with other Gentoo-related Ceph development as well :)

--
Aaron Ten Clay
http://www.aarontc.com/