I have this problem on some of my Ceph clusters, and I think it is due to the older hardware the I am using does not have the best clocks. To fix the problem, I setup one server in my lab to be my local NTP time server, and then on each of my Ceph monitors, in the /etc/ntp.conf file, I put in a single "server" line that reads:

   server XX.XX.XX.XX iburst burst minpoll 4 maxpoll 5

Where XX.XX.XX.XX is my local NTP time server IP address

Within a few minutes after a reboot, all my monitor clocks sync.

Per the NTP docs, do not use these settings when pointing to an external NTP server, as it generates a lot more network traffic then the default NTP settings.

Eric