Hi,

I have to "open" our CEPH cluster for some clients, that only support
kernel rbd. In general that's no problem and works just fine (verified
in our test-cluster ;-) ). I then tried to map images from our
production cluster and failed: rbd: add failed: (95) Operation not supported
After some testing and comparing test and production cluster, it turned
out that the config option, that hinders the kernel to map the image is
cephx require signatures = true
If I read the documentation
(http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/authentication/#backward-compatibility)
correctly that flag is recommended, which leads to two questions:
1. When will cephx signatures make it to kernel rbd (it's not there till
at least 3.12.0 and I've found no reference in the changelogs of
subsequent versions) ?
2. As I have to assess the risk when disabling cephx signatures, do you
have some estimations how probable a "real life" attack is, ie. are
there real threats for the whole infrastructure or is it "just" possible
to disturb the communication of exactly that client in whose
communicationmalicious messages are forced?

Thanks a lot for your help,
best regards,
Kurt

PS.: If my conclusion is correct, maybe that should be mentioned
somewhere at http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-ko/

--
Kurt Bauer <kurt.ba...@univie.ac.at>
Vienna University Computer Center - ACOnet - VIX