On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 19:22:54 -0800 (PST) Sage Weil wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Feb 2014, Christian Balzer wrote:

> > > Thank you for the hint. Sage's proposal on ceph-devel sounds good, so
> > > I'll wait for an implementation.
> > >

> > Pardon me for stating the maybe painfully obvious, but wouldn't
> > setting the allocsize to 4MB (with XFS and the default Ceph object
> > size) do a world of good to prevent fragmentation?
>
> This is what we plan on doing, although I was thinking an allocation
> size of 1MB might be more appropriate as a default.  In any case,
> though, the challenge is that not all objects are RBD objects, nor are
> all images using 4MB objects, so the OSD can't blindly do this; it needs
> to respond to a hint from the client.  Ilya is working on this now.

Of course, for a generic implementation that would need to be done with
what was discussed in the "rados io hints" thread.

In a use case where the sole usage would be RBD with the default object
size, mounting the XFS file systems with allocsize=4m might do the trick
for now though, right?

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/