On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM, Christopher O'Connell
<c...@sendfaster.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are several older discussions regarding RGW performance with high
> volume small files.
>
> I'm planning on running some tests on our test cluster to benchmark this
> performance, but before I do I wanted to ask several questions, to make sure
> that me test is valid.
>
> 1) does firefly have any meaningful performance increase in this regard? I
> took a look at the commit history for src/rgw and I didn't see anything that
> appeared to change it, but if it does, than I'll perform my test on firefly.

There was a minor fix to the rgw cache that switched from a regular
mutex to a read-write lock.

> 2) The best practice seems to be sharing across multiple buckets. Other than
> the small overhead for bucket metatdata, is there any downside to sharding
> to many buckets (e.g. 1024 buckets) instead of to just a few (e.g. 16)?

I don't see any downside to that.

> 3) Having a bucket with a huge number of items (e.g. 50 million) should only
> affect performance of that bucket, correct? Or will loading the large map to
> perform operations on it potentially affect other requests through the RGW
> by eating all of the memory?

Bucket index is not sharded and the leveldb backend is shared, so it
would affect other objects / indexes as well.

Yehuda