As others have mentioned, there is no reason you cannot run databases on Ceph storage. I've been running/testing Postgres and Mysql/Mariadb on Ceph RDB volumes for quite a while now - since version 0.50 (typically inside KVM containers but via the kernel driver will work too).

With a reasonable number of OSD + SSD for journals pretty good performance should be possible. However you may see some asymmetry in this performance - fast random and sequential writes, fast random reads but considerably slower sequential reads. The RBD cache may help here, but I need to investigate this further (and also some of the more fiddly settings to do with vertio disk config).

Regards

Mark