Stupid question : Is your areca 4GB cache shared between ssd journal and osd ?

or only use by osds ?

----- Mail original -----

De: "Christian Balzer" <ch...@gol.com>
À: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Envoyé: Jeudi 8 Mai 2014 08:26:33
Objet: Re: [ceph-users] Slow IOPS on RBD compared to journal and backing
devices

Hello,

On Wed, 7 May 2014 22:13:53 -0700 Gregory Farnum wrote:

> Oh, I didn't notice that. I bet you aren't getting the expected
> throughput on the RAID array with OSD access patterns, and that's
> applying back pressure on the journal.

I doubt that based on what I see in terms of local performance and actual
utilization figures according to iostat and atop during the tests.

But if that were to be true, how would one see if that's the case, as in
where in the plethora of data from:

ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.0.asok perf dump

is the data I'd be looking for?

> When I suggested other tests, I meant with and without Ceph. One
> particular one is OSD bench. That should be interesting to try at a
> variety of block sizes. You could also try runnin RADOS bench and
> smalliobench at a few different sizes.

I already did the local tests, as in w/o Ceph, see the original mail below.

And you might recall me doing rados benches as well in another thread 2
weeks ago or so.

In either case, osd benching gives me:
---
# time ceph tell osd.0 bench
{ "bytes_written": 1073741824,
"blocksize": 4194304,
"bytes_per_sec": "247102026.000000"}

real 0m4.483s
---
This is quite a bit slower than this particular SSD (200GB DC 3700) should
be able to write, but I will let that slide.
Note that it is the journal SSD that gets under pressure here (nearly 900%
util) while the OSD is bored at around 15%. Which is no surprise, as it
can write data at up to 1600MB/s.

at 4k blocks we see:
---
# time ceph tell osd.0 bench 1073741824 4096
{ "bytes_written": 1073741824,
"blocksize": 4096,
"bytes_per_sec": "9004316.000000"}

real 1m59.368s
---
Here we get a more balanced picture between journal and storage
utilization, hovering around 40-50%.
So clearly not overtaxing either component.
But yet, this looks like 2100 IOPS to me, if my math is half right.

Rados at 4k gives us this:
---
Total time run: 30.912786
Total writes made: 44490
Write size: 4096
Bandwidth (MB/sec): 5.622

Stddev Bandwidth: 3.31452
Max bandwidth (MB/sec): 9.92578
Min bandwidth (MB/sec): 0
Average Latency: 0.0444653
Stddev Latency: 0.121887
Max latency: 2.80917
Min latency: 0.001958
---
So this is even worse, just about 1500 IOPS.

Regards,

Christian

ch...@gol.com Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/