On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM, Sherry Shahbazi <shoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> If I have a pool called cold-storage (1) and a pool called hot-storage (2)
> that hot-storage is a cache tier for the cold-storage.
>
> I normally do the followings in order to map a directory in my client to a
> pool.
>
> on a Ceph monitor,
> ceph mds add_data_pool 1
> ceph mds add_data_pool 2
> Q1) Do I need to add both cold-storage and hot-storage to the data pools?

Nooo...generally whenever using cache pools, you should only refer to
the base pool. (You might change that if using read-only caching or
something, but none of that is really "certified".)

> on client,
> mkdir /mnt/test
> mount -t ceph ceph-mon1:6789,ceph-mon2:6789,ceph-mon3:6789:/ /mnt/test -o
> name=admin,secretfile=/etc/ceph/client.admin
>
> cephfs /mnt/test set_layout -p 1 OR cephfs /mnt/test set_layout -p 2
> Q2) Do I need to set the layout of the directory to pool1 (cold-storage) or
> pool2 (hot-storage)?

Again, only refer to the base pool (cold pool). The cache handling
happens within the RADOS layer and the filesystem isn't really aware
of it.
The only bit that's different is that if you're granting cephx
permissions on individual pools, you'll need to grant permissions on
both the cold and hot storage pool.
-Greg