On 08/05/2014 02:48 PM, Gergely Horváth wrote:
Thanks Wido for your comments.

On 2014-07-30 15:39, Wido den Hollander wrote:
Nothing specific, librados should give you what you need. Ceph is very
concurrent, so if you write to different objects at the same time those
I/Os will go in parallel.

What if I try to write the same object? Two clients are sending a write
at the same time, but at a different offset.

The object doesn't get fully overwritten, but if the offsets and lengths overlap they will overwrite each other.

Sometimes it might be better to use rados_append

Another interesting question that came up lately. Does Ceph support
"sparse objects"?
So if I create an object with one byte at the beginning, and then write
one byte with an offset of 64 megabytes, will it use only some bytes, or
take up the entire space (~64 MiB)?

It should be sparse. Only the written data will occupy space on the backing disk.

Wido

--
Üdvözlettel / Best regards

Horváth Gergely | gergely.horv...@inepex.com

IneTrack - Nyomkövetés egyszerűen | Inepex Kft.
Ügyfélszolgálat: supp...@inetrack.hu | +36 30 825 7646 | support.inetrack.hu
Web: www.inetrack.hu | nyomkovetes-blog.hu | facebook.com/inetrack

Inepex - The White Label GPS fleet-tracking platform | www.inepex.com

Wido den Hollander