On 08/08/2014 03:44 PM, Dan Van Der Ster wrote:
Hi,
Here’s what we do to identify our top RBD users.

First, enable log level 10 for the filestore so you can see all the IOs
coming from the VMs. Then use a script like this (used on a dumpling
cluster):

https://github.com/cernceph/ceph-scripts/blob/master/tools/rbd-io-stats.pl

to summarize the osd logs and identify the top clients.

Then its just a matter of scripting to figure out the ops/sec per
volume, but for us at least the main use-case has been to identify who
is responsible for a new peak in overall ops — and daily-granular
statistics from the above script tends to suffice.

BTW, do you throttle your clients? We found that its absolutely
necessary, since without a throttle just a few active VMs can eat up the
entire iops capacity of the cluster.

+1

I'd strongly advise to set I/O limits for Instances. I've had multiple occasions where a runaway script inside a VM was hammering on the underlying storage killing all I/O.

Not only with Ceph, but over the many years I've worked with storage. I/O == expensive

CloudStack supports I/O limiting, so I recommend you set a limit. Set it to 750 write IOps for example. That way one Instance can't kill the whole cluster, but it still has enough I/O to run. (usually).

Wido

Cheers, Dan

-- Dan van der Ster || Data & Storage Services || CERN IT Department --

On 08 Aug 2014, at 13:51, Andrija Panic <andrija.pa...@gmail.com