Hi Zach,

On 08/09/2014 11:33 AM, Zach Hill wrote:
Generally, we recommend strongly against such a deployment in order to ensure performance and failure isolation between the compute and storage sides of the system. But, I'm curious if anyone is doing this in practice and if they've found reasonable ways to make it work in production.

we are doing this in production since more than 2 years now because we couldn't afford more than a 2 nodes solution. There's of course a performance impact due to the pressure on the OS, but it didn't caused any lock or performance collapse.

Of course, now that we had some production time behind us, we can afford scaling up and separating storage and compute concerns and will do, but only to be clean and allow each concern of the cluster to scale independently. For instance, I won't hesitate to add drives to compute hosts, should a massive increase in storage capacity demand come.