After dealing with ubuntu for a few days I decided to circle back to centos 7.
It appears that the latest ceph deploy takes care of the initial issues I had.
Now i'm hitting a new issue that has to do with an improperly defined url.
When I do "ceph-deploy install node1 node2 node3" it fails because the url
that ceph-deploy is using is incorrect:

[monitor01][INFO  ] Running command: rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs
http://ceph.com/rpm-firefly/el7/noarch/ceph-release-1-0.el7.noarch.rpm
[monitor01][DEBUG ] Retrieving http://ceph.com/rpm-firefly/el7/noarch/ceph-
release-1-0.el7.noarch.rpm
[monitor01][WARNIN] curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
[monitor01][WARNIN] error: skipping http://ceph.com/rpm-
firefly/el7/noarch/ceph-release-1-0.el7.noarch.rpm - transfer failed
[monitor01][ERROR ] RuntimeError: command returned non-zero exit status: 1
[ceph_deploy][ERROR ] RuntimeError: Failed to execute command: rpm -Uvh --
replacepkgs http://ceph.com/rpm-firefly/el7/noarch/ceph-release-1-
0.el7.noarch.rpm

The path shuold be http://ceph.com/rpm-firefly/rhel7/noarch/ceph-release-1-
0.el7.noarch.rpm

it is currently /el7/ and it should be /rhel7/

Where can I manually update this so I can continue with the install?