Thanks Haomai !

Here is some of the data from my setup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set up:

--------

32 core cpu with HT enabled, 128 GB RAM, one SSD (both journal and data) -> one
OSD. 5 client m/c with 12 core cpu and each running two instances of
ceph_smalliobench (10 clients total). Network is 10GbE.

Workload:

-------------

Small workload – 20K objects with 4K size and io_size is also 4K RR. The intent
is to serve the ios from memory so that it can uncover the performance problems
within single OSD.

Results from Firefly:

--------------------------

Single client throughput is ~14K iops, but as the number of client increases
the aggregated throughput is not increasing. 10 clients ~15K iops. ~9-10 cpu
cores are used.

Result with latest master:

------------------------------

Single client is ~14K iops, but scaling as number of clients increases. 10
clients ~107K iops. ~25 cpu cores are used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More realistic workload:

-----------------------------

Let’s see how it is performing while > 90% of the ios are served from disks

Setup:

-------

40 cpu core server as a cluster node (single node cluster) with 64 GB RAM. 8
SSDs -> 8 OSDs. One similar node for monitor and rgw. Another node for client
running fio/vdbench. 4 rbds are configured with ‘noshare’ option. 40 GbE network

Workload:

------------

8 SSDs are populated , so, 8 * 800GB = ~6.4 TB of data.  Io_size = 4K RR.

Results from Firefly:

Aggregated output while 4 rbd clients stressing the cluster in parallel is
~20-25K IOPS , cpu cores used ~8-10 cores (may be less can’t remember precisely)

Results from latest master:

Aggregated output while 4 rbd clients stressing the cluster in parallel is
~120K IOPS , cpu is 7% idle i.e  ~37-38 cpu cores.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards

Somnath