Thanks again for all of your input. I agree with your assessment -- in our
cluster we avg  40ms for a 4k write. That's why we're adding the SSDs -- you
just can't run a proportioned RBD service without them.

 I'll definitely give bcache a try in my test setup, but more reading has kinda
tempered my expectations -- the rate of oopses and hangs on the bcache ML seems
a bit high. And a 3.14 kernel would indeed still be a challenge on our RHEL6
boxes.

 Cheers, Dan