Hello,

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 10:08:27 -0700 JIten Shah wrote:

> While checking the health of the cluster, I ran to the following error:
>
> warning: health HEALTH_WARN too few pgs per osd (1< min 20)
>
> When I checked the pg and php numbers, I saw the value was the default
> value of 64
>
> ceph osd pool get data pg_num
> pg_num: 64
> ceph osd pool get data pgp_num
> pgp_num: 64
>
> Checking the ceph documents, I updated the numbers to 2000 using the
> following commands:

If that is the same cluster as in the other thread, you're having 100 OSDs
and a replica of 2. Which gives a PG target of 5000, rounded up to 8192!

> ceph osd pool set data pg_num 2000
> ceph osd pool set data pgp_num 2000

At the very least increase this to 2048, for a better chance at even data
distribution, but 4096 would be definitely better and 8192 the
recommended target.

> It started resizing the data and saw health warnings again:
>
> health HEALTH_WARN 1 requests are blocked > 32 sec; pool data pg_num
> 2000 > pgp_num 64
>
> and then:
>
> ceph health detail
> HEALTH_WARN 6 requests are blocked > 32 sec; 3 osds have slow requests
> 5 ops are blocked > 65.536 sec
> 1 ops are blocked > 32.768 sec
> 1 ops are blocked > 32.768 sec on osd.16
> 1 ops are blocked > 65.536 sec on osd.77
> 4 ops are blocked > 65.536 sec on osd.98
> 3 osds have slow requests
>
> This error also went away after a day.

That's caused by the data movement, given that your on 100 hosts with a
single disk each I would have thought that to be faster and having less
impact. It could of course also be related to other things, network
congestion comes to mind.

Increase PGs and PGPs in small steps, Firefly won't let you add more than
256 at a time in my case.

You can also limit the impact of this to a point with the appropriate
settings, see the documentation.

Christian

ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/