Hi Amit,

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Amit Vijairania wrote:
> Hello!
>
> In a two (2) rack Ceph cluster, with 15 hosts per rack (10 OSD per
> host / 150 OSDs per rack), is it possible to create a ruleset for a
> pool such that the Primary and Secondary PGs/replicas are placed in
> one rack and Tertiary PG/replica is placed in the other rack?
>
> root standard {
>   id -1 # do not change unnecessarily
>   # weight 734.400
>   alg straw
>   hash 0 # rjenkins1
>   item rack1 weight 367.200
>   item rack2 weight 367.200
> }
>
> Given there are only two (2) buckets, but three (3) replica, is it
> even possible?

Yes:

rule myrule {
        ruleset 1
        type replicated
        min_size 1
        max_size 10
        step take default
        step choose firstn 2 type rack
        step chooseleaf firstn 2 type host
        step emit
}

That will give you 4 osds, spread across 2 hosts in each rack.  The pool
size (replication factor) is 3, so RADOS will just use the first three (2
hosts in first rack, 1 host in second rack).

sage