hi michal,

thanks for the info. we will certainly try it and see if we come to the same conclusions ;)

one small detail: since you were using centos7, i'm assuming you were using ZoL 0.6.3?

stijn

On 10/29/2014 08:03 PM, Michal Kozanecki wrote:
Forgot to mention, when you create the ZFS/ZPOOL datasets, make sure to set the
xattar setting to sa

e.g.

zpool create osd01 -O xattr=sa -O compression=lz4 sdb

OR if zpool/zfs dataset already created

zfs set xattr=sa osd01

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of Michal
Kozanecki
Sent: October-29-14 11:33 AM
To: Kenneth Waegeman; ceph-users
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] use ZFS for OSDs

Hi Kenneth,

I run a small ceph test cluster using ZoL (ZFS on Linux) ontop of CentOS 7, so
I'll try and answer any questions. :)

Yes, ZFS writeparallel support is there, but NOT compiled in by default. You'll
need to compile it with --with-zlib, but that by itself will fail to compile
the ZFS support as I found out. You need to ensure you have ZoL installed and
working, and then pass the location of libzfs to ceph at compile time.
Personally I just set my environment variables before compiling like so;

ldconfig
export LIBZFS_LIBS="/usr/include/libzfs/"
export LIBZFS_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/libzfs -I/usr/include/libspl"

However, the writeparallel performance isn't all that great. The writeparallel
mode makes heavy use of ZFS's (and BtrFS's for that matter) snapshotting
capability, and the snap performance on ZoL, at least when I last tested it, is
pretty terrible. You lose any performance benefits you gain with writeparallel
to the poor snap performance.

If you decide that you don't need writeparallel mode you, can use the prebuilt
packages (or compile with default options) without issue. Ceph (without zlib
support compiled in) will detect ZFS as a generic/ext4 file system and work
accordingly.

As far as performance tweaking, ZIL, write journals and etc, I found that the
performance difference between using a ZIL vs ceph write journal is about the
same. I also found that doing both (ZIL AND writejournal) didn't give me much
of a performance benefit. In my small test cluster I decided after testing to
forego the ZIL and only use a SSD backed ceph write journal on each OSD, with
each OSD being a single ZFS dataset/vdev(no zraid or mirroring). With Ceph
handling the redundancy at the OSD level I saw no need for using ZFS mirroring
or zraid, instead if ZFS detects corruption instead of self-healing it sends a
read failure of the pg file to ceph, and then ceph's scrub mechanisms should
then repair/replace the pg file using a good replica elsewhere on the cluster.
ZFS + ceph are a beautiful bitrot fighting match!

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer.

Cheers