For #1, it depends what you mean by fast.  I wouldn't worry about it taking
15 minutes.

If you mark the old OSD out, ceph will start remapping data immediately,
including a bunch of PGs on unrelated OSDs.  Once you replace the disk, and
put the same OSDID back in the same host, the CRUSH map will be back to
what it was before you started.  All of those remaps on unrelated OSDs will
reverse.  They'll complete fairly quickly, because they only have to
backfill the data that was written during the remap.

I prefer #1.  ceph pg repair will just overwrite the replicas with whatever
the primary OSD has, which may copy bad data from your bad OSD over good
replicas.  So #2 has the potential to corrupt the data.  #1 will delete the
data you know is bad, leaving only good data behind to replicate.  Once
ceph pg repair gets more intelligent, I'll revisit this.

I also prefer the simplicity.  If it's dead or corrupt, they're treated the
same.