Hi,

On Thu Nov 13 2014 at 3:35:55 PM Anthony Alba <ascanio.al...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah no.
> On 13 Nov 2014 21:49, "Dan van der Ster" <daniel.vanders...@cern.ch>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Did you mkjournal the reused journal?
>>
>>    ceph-osd -i $ID --mkjournal
>>
>> Cheers, Dan
>>

> No - however the man page states that "--mkjournal"  is for :
> "Create a new journal file to match an existing object repository.  This
> is useful if the journal device or file is wiped out due to a disk  or file
> system failure. "
>
> I thought mkfs would create a new OSD and new journal in one shot (the
> journal device is specified in ceph.conf). In otherwords I do not have "an
> existing object repository"..
>
> My steps:
> ceph.conf:
> osd journal = /dev/sdb1
> # This was used in a previous experiment so has garbage on it
> # /dev/sdc1 is mounted on /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-0
>
> ceph-osd -i 0 --mkfs --mkkey --osd-uuid 123456
>
> At this point it crashes with the FAILED assert.
>
> Do you mean I should run "ceph-osd -i $ID --mkjournal" before the mkfs?

I believe that if you now run
  ceph-osd -i 0 --mkjournal
it will setup /dev/sdb1 correctly to be used as the journal. I'm not sure
if mkfs is supposed to do this.

(BTW, using these commands manually is sort of deprecated now anyway -- you
can read through ceph-disk to see how to use them correctly).

Cheers, Dan