Hello,

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 18:08:23 +0300 Mike wrote:

> Hello all!
> Some our customer asked for only ssd storage.
> By now we looking to 2027R-AR24NV w/ 3 x HBA controllers (LSI3008 chip,
> 8 internal 12Gb ports on each), 24 x Intel DC S3700 800Gb SSD drives, 2
> x mellanox 40Gbit ConnectX-3 (maybe newer ConnectX-4 100Gbit) and Xeon
> e5-2660V2 with 64Gb RAM.

A bit skimpy on the RAM given the amount of money you're willing to spend
otherwise.
And while you're giving it 20 2.2GHz cores, that's not going to cut, not
by a long shot.
I did some brief tests with a machine having 8 DC S3700 100GB for OSDs
(replica 1) under 0.80.6 and the right (make that wrong) type of load
(small, 4k I/Os) did melt all of the 8 3.5GHz cores in that box.

The suggest 1GHz per OSD by the Ceph team is for pure HDD based OSDs, the
moment you add journals on SSDs it already becomes barely enough with 3GHz
cores when dealing with many small I/Os.

> Replica is 2.
> Or something like that but in 1U w/ 8 SSD's.

The potential CPU power to OSD ratio will be much better with this.

> We see a little bottle neck on network cards, but the biggest question
> can ceph (giant release) with sharding io and new cool stuff release
> this potential?

You shouldn't worry too much about network bandwidth unless you're going
to use this super expensive setup for streaming backups. ^o^
I'm certain you'll run out of IOPS long before you'll run out of network
bandwidth.

Given that what I recall of the last SSD cluster discussion, most of the
Giant benefits were for read operations and the write improvement was
about double that of Firefly. While nice, given my limited tests that is
still a far cry away from what those SSDs can do, see above.

> Any ideas?

Somebody who actually has upgraded an SSD cluster from Firefly to Giant
would be in the correct position to answer that.

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/