Hello,

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:22:34 +0100 Thomas Lemarchand wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Sure ZFS is way more mature than Btrfs, but what is ZFS status in
> Linux ?
>
> I use ZFS on FreeBSD (72TB - 12 disks (2 vdevs RaidZ2) for backup
> purposes) and it works great, but it's something I would be afraid to do
> in Linux.

You are aware of http://zfsonlinux.org/ ?

And while I dislike the fact that ZFS is not (and probably never will be)
part of the official Linux kernel tree, this is as good as it gets.

As I see it the alternatives are:
1) wait for BTRFS to fully mature (good luck with that)
2) use something tried and trusted (I use ext4) and hope that the Ceph
developers add the missing parts.
3) wait for full ZFS support in Ceph.

I'm going with 2 for now and am kinda hoping/waiting for 3.

But as I wrote, even with ZFS as backing storage there would be some
things like deduplication that need to be handled in Ceph, not the layer
below.

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/