I would think that the RBD mounter would cache the directory listing
which should always make it fast, unless there is so much memory
pressure that it is dropping it frequently.

How many entries are in your directory and total on the RBD?
ls | wc -l
find . | wc -l

What does your memory look like?
free -h

I'm not sure now much help I can be, but if memory pressure is causing
buffers to be freed, then it can cause the system to have to go disk
to get the directory listing. I'm guessing that if the directory is
large enough it could cause the system to have to go back to the RBD
many times. Very small I/O on RBD is very expensive compared to big
sequential access.