In this case the root cause was half denied reservations.

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9626

This stopped backfills since, those listed as backfilling were actually half denied and doing nothing. The toofull status is not checked until a free backfill slot happens, so everything was just stuck.

Interestingly, the toofull was created by other backfills which were not stoppped.
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9594

Quite the log jam to clear.

Quoting Craig Lewis <cle...@centraldesktop.com>:

What was the osd_backfill_full_ratio?  That's the config that controls
backfill_toofull.  By default, it's 85%.  The mon_osd_*_ratio affect the
ceph status.

I've noticed that it takes a while for backfilling to restart after
changing osd_backfill_full_ratio.  Backfilling usually restarts for me in
10-15 minutes.  Some PGs will stay in that state until the cluster is
nearly done recoverying.

I've only seen backfill_toofull happen after the OSD exceeds the ratio (so
it's reactive, no proactive).  Mine usually happen when I'm rebalancing a
nearfull cluster, and an OSD backfills itself toofull.