On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Dan Van Der Ster
<daniel.vanders...@cern.ch> wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2015, at 17:08, Sage Weil <s...@newdream.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015, Dan Van Der Ster wrote:
>
> Moving forward, I think it would be good for Ceph to a least document
> this behaviour, but better would be to also detect when
> zone_reclaim_mode != 0 and warn the admin (like MongoDB does). This
> line from the commit which disables it in the kernel is pretty wise,
> IMHO: "On current machines and workloads it is often the case that
> zone_reclaim_mode destroys performance but not all users know how to
> detect this. Favour the common case and disable it by default."
>

> Sounds good to me.  Do you mind submitting a patch that prints a warning
> from either FileStore::_detect_fs()?  That will appear in the local
> ceph-osd.NNN.log.
>
> Alternatively, we should send something to the cluster log
> (osd->clog.warning() << "...") but if we go that route we need to be
> careful that the logger it up and running first, which (I think) rules out
> FileStore::_detect_fs().  It could go in OSD itself although that seems
> less clean since the recommendation probably doesn't apply when
> using a backend that doesn't use a file system…
>

> Sure, I’ll try to prepare a patch which warns but isn’t too annoying.
> MongoDB already solved the heuristic:
>
> https://github.com/mongodb/mongo/blob/master/src/mongo/db/startup_warnings_mongod.cpp
>
> It’s licensed as AGPLv3 -- do you already know if we can borrow such code
> into Ceph?

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#AGPL

I've read that and the linked Affero Article 13 and I actually can't
tell if Ceph is safe to integrate or not, but I'm thinking "no" since
the servers are under LGPL. :/ Also I'm not sure if storage system
users qualify as remote users but I don't think we're going to print
an Affero string every time somebody runs a ceph tool. ;)
-Greg