On 01/30/15 14:24, Luke Kao wrote:

> Dear ceph users,
>
> Has anyone tried to add autodefrag and mount option when use btrfs as
> the osd storage?
>

> In some previous discussion that btrfs osd startup becomes very slow
> after used for some time, just thinking about add autodefrag will help.
>

> We will add on our test cluster first to see if there is any difference.

We used autodefrag but it didn't help: performance degrades over time.
One possibility raised in previous discussions here is that BTRFS's
autodefrag isn't smart enough when snapshots are heavily used as is the
case with Ceph OSD by default.

There are some tunings available that we have yet to test :

filestore btrfs snap
filestore btrfs clone range
filestore journal parallel

All are enabled by default for BTRFS backends. snap is probably the
first you might want to disable and check how autodefrag and defrag
behave. It might be possible to use snap and defrag, BTRFS was quite
stable for us (but all our OSDs are on systems with at least 72GB RAM
which have enough CPU power so memory wasn't much of an issue).

Best regards,

Lionel Bouton