On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Matthew Monaco <m...@monaco.cx> wrote:
> On 02/09/2015 08:20 AM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
>> There are a lot of next steps on
>> http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-osd/
>>
>> You probably want to look at the bits about using the admin socket, and
>> diagnosing slow requests. :) -Greg
>
> Yeah, I've been through most of that. It's still been difficult to pinpoint
> what's causing the blocking. Can I get some clarification on this comment:
>
>> Ceph acknowledges writes after journaling, so fast SSDs are an attractive
>> option to accelerate the response time–particularly when using the ext4 or
>> XFS filesystems. By contrast, the btrfs filesystem can write and journal
>> simultaneously.
>
> Does this mean btrfs doesn't need separate journal partition/block device?
> I.e.,
> is what ceph-disk does when creating with --fs-type btrfs entirely non-optimal
> (creates a 5G journal partition and the rest a btrfs partition).
>
> I just don't get the "by contrast." If the OSD is btrfs+rotational, then why
> doesn't putting the journal on an SSD help (as much?) if writes are returned
> after journaling?

Yeah, that's not quite the best phrasing. btrfs' parallel journaling
can be a big advantage in all-spinner cases where under the right
kinds of load the filesystem actually has a chance of committing data
to disk faster than the journal does. There aren't many situations
where that's likely, though — it's more useful for direct librados
users who might want to proceed once data is readable rather than when
it's durable. That's not an option with xfs.
-Greg