My particular interest is for a less dynamic environment, so manual
key distribution is not a problem. Re. OpenStack, it's probably good
enough to have the Cinder host creating them as needed (presumably
stored in its DB) and just send the secret keys over the message bus
to compute hosts as needed - if your infrastructure network is not
trusted then you've got bigger problems to worry about. It's true that
a lot of clouds would end up logging the secrets in various places,
but then they are only useful on particular hosts.

I guess there is nothing special about the default "" namespace
compared to any other as far as cephx is concerned. It would be nice
to have something of a nested auth, so that the client requires
explicit permission to read the default namespace (configured
out-of-band when setting up compute hosts) and further permission for
particular non-default namespaces (managed by the cinder rbd driver),
that way leaking secrets from cinder gives less exposure - but I guess
that would be a bit of a change from the current namespace
functionality.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo