Hi,

I'm trying to understand object storage replication between two ceph clusters in two zones in a single region. Setting up replication itself isn't the issue, it's how to ensure high availability and data safety between the clusters when failing over.

The simplest case is flipping the primary cluster between the two zones, just to test that we *can* do that. We expect that there is data that was written to the original primary that has not be replicated to the backup cluster yet, just because people are constantly writing to it. In that case, is there any way to ensure that data that was written to the original primary, but not replicated yet to the other zone, will be copied? Or is that data only in one place until we flip back over to the original primary?

The same situation would happen upon flipping primary responsibilities back to the original, where there would be data that had just been written that hadn't been replicated yet. Now do we have data on both sides that exists only in one place with no way to ensure that it is made consistent between the two zones?

Sorry if that was confusing, but it's hard to describe without seeing the gestures I'm making as I'm explaining it :)

bab

--
Brian Button
bbut...@agilestl.com | @brianbuttonxp | 636.399.3146