I bet it's that permission issue combined with a minor bug in FUSE on
that kernel, or maybe in the ceph-fuse code (but I've not seen it
reported before, so I kind of doubt it). If you run ceph-fuse with
"debug client = 20" it will output (a whole lot of) logging to the
client's log file and you could see what requests are getting
processed by the Ceph code and how it's responding. That might let you
narrow things down. It's certainly not any kind of timeout.
-Greg