On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 16:12:59 -0600 Tony Harris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After the previous thread, I'm doing my SSD shopping for  and I came
> across an SSD called an Edge Boost Pro w/ Power Fail, it seems to have
> some impressive specs - in most places decent user reviews, in once
> place a poor one - I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with
> these drives with Ceph?  Does it work well?  Reliability issues?  etc.
> Right now I'm looking at getting Intel DC S3700's, but the price on
> these Edge drives are pretty good for the 240G model, but almost TGTBT
> for the speed and power fail caps, so I didn't want to take a chance if
> they were really problematical as I'd rather just use a drive I know
> people have had quality success with.
>
> -Tony

Read this, especially the OLTP and Email section:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6337/edge-boost-pro-300gb-enterprise-ssd-review/index.html

It trails far behind other SSDs (and surely the 3700 which is about the
same price).
Though typically the journal is actually NEVER read from, so write
performance is the main point here.
This SSD looks good in the random write section.

However the Sandforce controller is known to slow down things during
garbage collection.

There is also the question how much this drive will degrade with time, at
least the review above did some preconditioning unlike others I saw.
With journals, you can't really to a TRIM to clean up things.
OTOH with a 240GB drive you can leave most of it empty for prevent or at
least forestall these issues.

Finally there is NO specification on the makers homepage at all. So when it
comes to durability and the buzzwords plus Toshiba eMLC mentioned in the
reviews do not solid numbers make.

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/