Are all your monitors running? Usually a temporary hang means that the Ceph
client tries to reach a monitor that isn't up, then times out and contacts
a different one.

I have also seen it just be slow if the monitors are processing so many
updates that they're behind, but that's usually on a very unhappy cluster.
-Greg